Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Simple Way

   Please don't be mad. I didn't get a picture, and I hardly even talked to him. But...it.was.amazing.

   For those of you who might be confused; Shane Claiborne came and spoke at chapel this morning. He's an author of a couple books, he has a program that he runs in downtown Philly called "the Simple Way" (check it out at http://www.thesimpleway.org/), he's a speaker, and he's an awesome dude with dread locks and is a very big inspiration to me. He started his talk off with a crazy college student story (oh yeah, he went to Eastern.) and it was hilarious. But he went on and talked about community and unity. It was very good. I loved it because he honestly didn't have "power points" or any kind of application type thing at the end. It was just him speaking from his heart, telling stories about himself, The Simple Way, other people who have touched his life, and giving us advice on how we can best live in community here at Eastern.  He was so laid back, funny, passionate, and very much in love with God. His talk definitely was very applicable and inspiring, as well as challenging.

   I know I said this in the last post, but it's worth saying again; if  you haven't read any of his stuff, I would highly encourage you to do so. I've only read "The Irresistible Revolution" (although right now I am working on his "Jesus for President") but it was so encouraging to me, for many reasons, and also challenging and made me really think. So yeah, check his stuff out.

  Anyways, on a cool side note; I bought my own copy of his "Irresistible Revolution" because they were selling it, and I got him to sign it after introducing myself and telling him that I really admire what he does. And it was awesome :)

2 comments: