Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines day

     Valentines day. Some people love it, others hate it. It makes couples more annoying and singles more depressed.  But personally, I think people miss the point.  Yes, valentines day is a day to treat that special someone out.  Yes, it is a good day to take your chances and ask that girl out that you've had your eye on for awhile...but Valentines day is so much more. Valentines day is the celebration of love.  It is recognizing and celebrating the love that we have for those around us.Valentines day is a day where you can ignore those awkward social boundaries and just give someone a hug and let them know how much they mean to you.
     I personally have always loved Valentines day because it happens to be a very special day for my family. Lydia Joy, my youngest sister, was born that day back in '04. She's the baby of the family, and she truly is a Joy to us.  So Valentines day has always been a day where we make a lot of cheesy cards, eat a lot of cake and chocolate, and celebrate life and love.  We give a lot of kisses, distribute a lot of hugs, maybe sing a song or two that fit the mood, and over all have a jolly good time. 
This year, however, was different...not being home, I wasn't able to experience that.  I missed being able to scoop little Lydia up in my arms, shout happy birthday at the top of my lungs, and ask all my siblings if they would be my valentine. It was very different, and a little saddening to miss out on that (especially the cupcakes...)  But I also got a new look on Valentines day here at school. I saw roses being given, hugs, smiles, kisses, and laughter being exchanged between friends, couples, professors, and co-workers. It was like we all were real for a day and allowed ourselves to express our love without feeling like we would be judged or misunderstood.  It was simple, yet beautiful.  I saw people going out of their way to make others feel loved and special.  I saw others giving a helping hand, a smile, a word of encouragement and a friendly compliment more often then most days.  I saw people smiling at such a simple thing as a rose, laugh over awkward valentine greetings and eat a little too much chocolate.  Over all, it was a day of joy and celebration here at campus.  Classes were a little more light-hearted, the food was a little bit better, and everyone seemed to take the time to simply enjoy life and to love abundantly.
     Love is true. Love is genuine. Love is life changing. Love is something every soul thirst for.  So don't withhold it.  Give abundantly.  Love truly. Love deeply.  You don't need a special day, although it is wonderful when we all take a day to recognize and celebrate the aspect of humanity that makes this life bearable.  But don't let it stop there.  "...faith, hope and love abide; but the greatest of these is love."

2 comments:

  1. YEP. Thats right everyone. thats my SISTA who just posted this amazing post. Shes da bomb sizzle.

    ReplyDelete