Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

The Hartford Project 2011

"You're the God of this City/You're the King of these people/You're the Lord of this nation/You are/ You're the Light in this darkness/You're the Hope to the hopeless/You're the Peace to the restless/You are/There is no one like our God/There is no one like our God
For greater things have yet to come/And greater things are still to be done in this City/Greater thing have yet to come/And greater things are still to be done in this City"
 "God of this City" by Chris Tomlin
Amazing song, and definitely the theme song of my past week. We have a local mission trip each year into our state capitol, Hartford. It's called The Hartford Project (THP), and it's amazing.
First, a little bit of a background, for those of you who may not know. CT is one of the richest states in the US, and yet Hartford is one of the top 10 poorest cities. It has a very high violence rate, and it has a lot of brokenness in it.  However, Hartford has not always been like that. It was originally founded by Thomas Hooker and a bunch of pilgrims, who dedicated it to the Lord praying that it would be "a city on a hill and a light to the nations."  Hartford is anything but that...Thus, the Hartford Project. Started back in....oh boy...2004...I think. (Sorry if this is messed up a little, I'm trying my best :P) And the hopes of it was to first off, bring God's love into the city, connect the churches in Hartford, and give teens a better look at the city and mission work. Pretty much it's four days of living in the city, and doing volunteer projects with local churches, and for local communities.
     Over the years though, THP has grown a lot. The first year I went (I have now gone these past three years), I think there was probably only 100 kids. This year there was over 300. And every time I have seen amazing things happen and God has taught me some life changing things.
The first year probably had the biggest impact on me. It was pretty much the first time that I realized what it looked like to live a Christian life on a day to day biases, and not just on Sundays. To actually live for Christ. Every moment, every choice, every word. To live for Him. I was already saved...but I think that's when I really started putting my faith into action. It was also the first time I felt God calling me into missions work.
The next summer I had a chance to go to the Dominican Republic (DR) for a short term mission work, and also once again to THP. This time I knew that this is what God wanted me to do. At least through high school and college.
     Also, the past two years I've had a lot of really neat experiences in the city. Praying for people, seeing people come to Christ...stuff like that.
This year...not so much. Which was kind of disappointing. But God did teach me a lot. First off, I got a really good look at the city. I realized what a really, and I mean really, beautiful city it is. One of the days we went up to the top of this really high tower/building thingy and you can see all of Hartford (and much more.) It was sooo cool, but it made me realize just how pretty the city is. And how much it could be. I also came to realize how much Hartford does have already. Even in it's state of poverty and brokenness, it has a lot to offer those who look. Which makes me wonder just how amazing it would be if it did become 'a city on a hill.'
     The other really big thing I got out of it was, once again, how much I want to do mission work. And I'm starting to believe even after college. I don't know what that would look like for me...Whether it would mean moving back to CT and doing it right here in Hartford. Or maybe going to a totally different country. Or maybe to some random state. I don't know. But I'm realizing how much I want to live my life dedicated to Christ. Spreading his word, his love, his mercy and his grace. He has given me so much, how can I not want to share it with others?
It's really kinda scary when I start thinking about it...but yet I'm excited. I don't know what God has in store, but I know it's gonna be awesome. And it's going to bring him glory. And that's what I want. Is for people to see Him, and come to know Him.

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome han!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so great! I love when God kind of just reveals Himself through stuff like that :) Love you! I cannot wait for the DR trip!!!!! :D I swear I could jump and dance with excitement!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete